ORIGAMI CUP TOKYO 2023
In this competition, professional baristas and home brewers alike, regardless of skill, competed to see who could brew the best coffee using the ORIGAMI Dripper.
【Designation】 ORIGAMI Dripper, coffee beans, water
【Can be brought in】Grinder (manual)
【Equipment provided】ORIGAMI Drippers (porcelain and Air), EK grinder, kettle, server, paper (conical and wave), cupping bowl, cupping spoon
・Preparation time: 5 min. Competition time 5 min. at least 150 ml of liquid provided.
・Three judges (cupping judges) will judge and decide the winner by majority vote.
1st place Ooi You Bin
Ground: Comandante C40 74 red click (double grind)
Dripper: ORIGAMI Dripper S (Porcelain)
Filter: Kalita 155
Brewing time: 1:30
1) Hand-pick and remove any defective or small beans.
2) First grind 23g~24g of hand-picked beans with the coarsest grind, remove the chaff, and grind a second time with 74 Red Click.
3) Lightly shake off the ground powder as if to remove the fines.
1) Rinse the paper filter with 90°C water and set 20g of powder in the dripper.
2) At 30-second intervals, make the first (60g), second (up to 140g), and third (up to 200g) pitches (*1).
3) Aim for a fall-off time of 1 minute and 30 seconds.
4) Taste and adjust the concentration by bypassing (*2).
5) Allow the coffee to cool before serving (*3).
*1 The first and second pitches should be agitated in a circular motion, not too slowly or too vigorously; the third pitch should be finished gently.
*2 Bypass a total of 20g on the day of the tournament.
*3 Mouthfeel (texture) of different temperature range is different, and the best temperature range for this recipe is Cool range, so cool it down before serving.
This time, the beans were fast to escape, so the fall-off time was about 2 minutes.
The recipe aimed for a rich sweetness from the fine mesh and a long aftertaste from the coarse mesh.
3rd place Yoshikuni Tachikawa
The venue on the day of the event was filled with the enthusiasm of over 100 people, including competitors, judges, and visitors.
We hope that the ORIGAMI CUP will be an opportunity for coffee lovers to expand their community and enjoy coffee more.
The next ORIGAMI CUP is scheduled for next year, so please look forward to it!